As a regular traveler, you can make money from your empty luggage spaces. If you are wondering how this is possible, then this article is just for you. With peer-to-peer delivery services, you can turn empty spaces into cash. Crowdsourced delivery services leverage existing travel plans to deliver packages around the world. Most times, across a country or just a distance away. Simply put, you help people carry their packages in your luggage and make some money.
However, peer-to-peer delivery services have two major concerns that require mention
- Many people don’t know about it. This makes it sometimes unlikely to find someone whose delivery matches your destination. It helps if you are plying a route a company already has nailed down.
- Importation laws are different for every country. Ensure you make a thorough investigation before sending or receiving a package.
This article will explain everything there is to know about making money through peer-to-peer delivery.
What is peer-to-peer Delivery?
Peer-to-peer is also known as Crowdsourced delivery is similar to Carpooling. In this case, packages are delivered from point A to point B instead of people. Crowdsourced delivery is a system where people carry out last-mile deliveries. Sometimes from stores or warehouses to customers’ destinations.
Peer-to-peer delivery companies have developed ways to address major concerns such as:
- Making sure the necessary rendezvous takes place for end-to-end delivery. For example, using a traveler to carry out the last mile.
- Using reputation reviews for both senders and couriers to build trust
- Handling delivery issues for second-tier routes, for example, Newcastle-Palermo
How does crowdsourced delivery work?
- The retailer or customer places an order on the crowdsourced delivery company’s app. The delivery company assigns the delivery to one of the part-time couriers on the app. Couriers can bid to accept a local delivery. In other cases, they may be automatically assigned one based on their proximity to the pickup location.
- The assigned courier picks the packed item and delivers it to the recipient. Some pickup and delivery are “on-demand,” meaning right away. Others can be scheduled for a specific time window. For example between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- The recipient then confirms a safe home delivery. And the courier receives compensation from the delivery company.
What are the types of peer-to-peer delivery?
There are two types of peer-to-peer delivery services: overland and by air.
Travelers with space in their cars benefit more from overland crowdsourced delivery services. There are a lot of these companies in the U.S. Roadie has built a solid business delivering stuff across the country since its launch in 2015.
If you’re a traveler, you can make money on your regular road trips. You don’t have to worry about import-related legal issues when making within-country deliveries.
It’s a bit different when you have to travel longer distances. This is where longer delivery services thrive. Air travelers make these deliveries. Oftentimes travelers pack for a trip in less luggage than airlines allow. These empty spaces can make money for travelers. Some delivery services focus on specific routes between two countries. For example, Zaagel focuses on only deliveries to Egypt. Konveyo on the other hand facilitates deliveries anywhere in the world.
How do I make money from crowdsourced delivery?
Before anything else, make your travel plans and complete your bookings. Decide on where and when you’re going. Once you have that arranged, you’re ready to search for delivery opportunities to make money.
The truth is there are only a few companies with a ton of people wanting to do deliveries. It’s best to sign up on as many platforms as possible. But make sure they handle deliveries to your destination from your location. This sets you up for an opportunity to make money.
Once you have signed up on a relevant site, go on to list your trip. List on as many relevant sites as possible. It is important to do this way before your travel date, so you can get notified on time of any delivery that matches your trip. Also, don’t forget to lookup listings searching for delivery requests that match your trip. This way, they can make contact with you and you can fulfill their deliveries.
It is important to keep in mind that on getting to the country of interest, it is easier and cheaper to mail domestically. So in essence, if you won’t be visiting Melbourne to deliver something there, you can mail it from Sydney. You can make more money when you are planning to visit more cities. List them as your destinations so people know all the options you are offering.
What types of items will I deliver?
The Items are affected by a few factors. Sometimes according to the delivery location for the season of the year.
Items on high demand include packages like:
- Console Games
- Mobile Phones
- Digital Cameras
- Food items
- Favorite Skin Creams
- Wireless Headphones
- Electronics Equipment
What are the Risks involved in crowdsourcing delivery?
There are a few areas of risk. For example, paying for the item and not getting reimbursed.
Check the delivery websites if they offer any form of insurance or a third party hold on the money. This pretty much eliminates this risk. For example, the buyer pays the website, then you buy the required item with your own money. Once you complete the delivery, the company pays you the total cost for the item and the delivery. This can happen in several ways depending on the company. But arrangements like these eliminate concerns about this risk.
Before accepting any delivery request, make sure you understand the payment system used by the site.
Another risk associated with the peer-to-peer delivery process Import regulations. This affects you more as the traveler.
If you show up at the airport with a suitcase full of new iPhones, this raises suspicion for the authorities. Authorities might require you to pay import taxes. To be on the safer side, always research the laws to make sure you know what is and whatnot. If there are import tax charges where you are going, make sure you pass these costs on to your buyer.
How much money can you make from peer-to-peer delivery?
There is no limit to what you can make on your travels. The truth is there are some specific areas where you can make a decent amount of money. Since 2016 travelers have earned more than $5 million delivering products to shoppers on grabr. Most leisure travelers make $200/trip on average long popular routes.
Peer-to-peer delivery offers you an outstanding opportunity to make money while traveling. You can always look to improve your income. Here are a few tricks to increase your travel earnings:
- Accept many deliveries to your destination. This will give you more opportunities to meet more people.
- Offers delivery services to and fro your trips. You can use the freed space in your luggage to make money coming back.
- Delivering electronic gadgets offer better opportunities to make money
- Build a solid reputation. Nothing beats a good reputation. The more positive reviews mean more trust and deliveries. Of course, you know that means you make more money.
How do I get paid?
The company places your commissions into escrow until the shopper marks the items delivered. Once marked, they process your funds and release them to you.
For US, Canada, or European travelers, the money can be paid straight to your bank. This is done using stripe. If you live in other countries, though, you can still receive payment via PayPal.
How do You Sign Up to Make Money While Traveling?
The signup process is simple and easy. Here is how to make money on Konveyo.
- Visit https://konveyo.com
- Enter your info to create an account.
- Upload a photograph.
Then scroll down to the “Make Money Travelling” section to see if there are any orders available for your upcoming travel destinations.
Make money on your travels
The opportunity crowdsourcing offers you as a traveler is immense. You get direct contact with locals you’ve already built trust with. You make money and get to see beautiful places all at once. Not to forget you are saving someone some dollars in the process. Think about the added advantage of reducing carbon emissions.
We will be hoping to hear your travel stories as you make money.
Join our community of travelers today!